Sunday, January 2, 2011

Re: [BellaAndEdward] about my FOTD postings

 

One thing that I think makes a story "ok" when it could be "great" is when it feels rushed -- the plot from the summary sounds good, but the author is clearly impatient to get to the good stuff and has them going from the first introduction to moving in and getting married within 7 or 8 chapters, instead of stretching it out to 20 chapters or so.


----- Original Message -----
From: mary davidson [mailto:mary.davidson@sympatico.ca]
To: BellaAndEdward@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 14:05:45 -0800
Subject: Re: [BellaAndEdward] about my FOTD postings


You have to counter with support---saying it's a great work but---. And you have to do it one on one---not on list or in a forum---or a fanfic site. That's paramount---you don't mean to embarrass but sometimes what you say can be taken the wrong way. Newbies are---heck, even us oldsters---can be unsure of ourselves.

 
You know, the one thing that sends me away from a piece---okay, two things. Spelling and when the characters are so out of character, it makes my teeth hurt. For example---Veronica Mars goes to bed with Weevil and then the next day decides that Logan is the one for her. That's not what bugged me---it was the fact that Weevil was okay with it---saying something like it's happened before---it will happen again. Now to me, Weevil would be stronger---be less okay with it and let VM know that. She might still go back to Logan but at least she would know what was what.
 
This tends to happen because a person is writing out of the box. You write a pairing you don't totally believe in---people will notice. I know I tried to write a Mulder/Scully once in the X-Files realm but it never saw the light of day because I'm a dyed in the wool---Skinner/Scully, forever. : ) Prolific Peggy.




.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment